Samstag, 4. Dezember 2010

Fridge

Stevia rebaudiana


Not many people know about this plant and it´s benefits which is a shame and I want to do my part to help change that.
Stevia is a South American plant also called sugarleaf. It´s sweetness is up to 300 times stronger than sugar but unlike sugar it has several good effects on the body. Japan for example is one of the countries where Stevia has been used to sweeten food for centuries. Some studies show that Stevia might even be able to be used to treat Diabetes. In Germany it is not for sale as a food product because officially it hasn´t passed all the tests necessary, unofficially it it more likely that the sugar industry is trying everything they can to not be put out of business. 
You can still buy it online but it will always be labeled as cosmetic product, don´t let that shy you away from putting it in your tea though.

It has the same aftertaste as sweetener which might be off putting for some (like me) but I think you can train yourself to like it and I strongly belief that the health benefits are worth it in the end.
More than half the children in Germany have medical issue when they start school the bulk of them being overweight or bad teeth. (Source: Nido) When it comes to children we have to stop reading all these baby guide books or parenting magazines and start listening to our instincts again.
Which doesn´t mean that sugar has to be banned and that baking Christmas cookies has to be vegan and sugarless and - well no fun. I wouldn´t get far with my baking/cooking addiction if I wouldn´t use sugar.
But as far as I am concerned Japan is the expert on healthy living and I´m going to try to gradually follow in their footsteps on this one. 

 Buy Stevia online:
or

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen